Weefsel Pharma - Pirfenidone Tablets Manufacturer and Exporter
Among the many disorders concerning lungs, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is a medical condition that needs immediate medical attention. It often manifests as thickening and stiffening of lung tissues. Weefsel Pharma is a proud manufacturer and exporter of Pirfenidone; a pharmaceutical drug that has been found highly effective and helpful against this disorder along with a few more medical issues, including Covid19.
What is Pirfenidone?
Having the brand name of Pirespa, by Shionogi in 2008, Pirfenidone got its first approval from Japan; of being a pharmaceutical drug against mild-to-moderate idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. A topical form named KitosCell LP is also available for the treatment of abnormal or chronic wound healing purposes.
How does Pirfenidone work?
Pirfenidone has some antifibrotic and anti-inflammatory properties which are effective in reducing lung fibrosis through downregulation of the production of growth factors and pro collagen I and II.
Ways of administering Pirfenidone
Pirfenidone is usually taken in the form of tablets having strengths of roughly 267 mg, 534 mg and 801 mg. But it can also be taken in the form of capsules having similar strengths. KitosCell LP is the topical gel form that is also being approved in Mexico.
Common usage or treatments by Pirfenidone
- Pirfenidone is most commonly used to treat Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, which is a progressive lung disease that causes scarring of the lungs.
- Not just lung fibrosis, Pirfenidone can also be used against chronic Liver Fibrosis.
- Pirfenidone has also been found effective against the production of inflammatory mediators such as tumor necrosis factor alpha and IL-1β in both cultured cells and isolated human peripheral blood mononuclear cells.
- KitosCell LP, the gel form of Pirfenidone which is approved in Mexico, is known for the treatment of scars and fibrotic tissue along with skin ulcers.
Usual side effects of Pirfenidone
- Nausea and vomiting
- Severe sunburn
- Skin rash
- Sleeping disorders
- Stomach pain
- Weight loss
When to avoid Pirfenidone?
- Liver disorders
- Renal impairment
Compatibility of Pirfenidone with other medicines
- Amiodarone- Severe
- Ciprofloxacin- Severe
- Rifampicin- Medium
- Teriflunomide- Severe
Substitutes of Pirfenidone
- Aromatic heterocyclic compound
- Heteroaromatic compound
- Hydrocarbon derivative
- Monocyclic benzene moiety
- Organic nitrogen compound
- Organic oxide
- Organic oxygen compound
- Organonitrogen compound
- Organo oxygen compound
- Organic Pnictogen compound
Pirfenidone and Covid19
Pirfenidone has possibilities of inhibiting apoptosis, downregulating ACE receptors expression, decreasing inflammation by several mechanisms and ameliorate oxidative stress and hence protect pneumocytes and other cells from COVID-19 effects, and cytokine storm simultaneously.
Hence, considering its mechanism and the known pathophysiology of COVID-19, it is believed that pirfenidone has the potential to be helpful for COVID-19 patients.